[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Back Porch Memories • View topic - 10.2: Organizing Paper - Kits

Back Porch Memories

Monthly Kit Club
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:11 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Hey, there! Happy October :)

For our Techniques on Tuesday this month, we're going to talk about organizing. Specifically, I want to talk about the biggest amount of scrappy stuff we all have... PAPER.

For the next 4 weeks, I'll cover: card stock, scraps, patterned paper by the sheet and today I want to talk about KITS! :D

How do you store your kits? I like to keep mine all together. For me, the reason why I purchase kits is to help speed the design process along. When things are already coordinated for me, including card stock and embellishments, it makes my process go much faster. So for me, it makes sense to keep my kits together as they come, with a few exceptions. I keep them in the clear plastic bags that they come in, because it keeps everything together and is easy to just grab and go scrap!

I store all of my kits in these Cropper Hopper Vertical File Holders:

You can buy them with or without the plastic dividers. I buy the dividers and label them with what's in each holder for ease of location. I then separate my kits into categories or themes.

Here's a sampling of my themes and categories:

Summer/Beach/Vacation
Christmas/Winter
Fall/Halloween
Baby
Masculine (my little boy lines are in here, too)
Papers with Blue & Green (I have a lot of these, I noticed! So I made a separate category)
Primary colors (mostly papers with a rainbow theme going)
Pastels
Girlie Papers
Kitchen/Home/Recipe (I tend to create a lot of gift items with this sort of theme, so I keep it separate)
Misc. (I try really hard to make papers fit into one of my categories, but if it doesn't, I put them here. When I go to scrap, I try to look through this folder first so I don't forget about the great stuff in here!)

And then I file my kits accordingly. I know I'm missing some categories, but you get the general idea. If you want to do this, I highly suggest taking all of your kits and sort them in piles. You'll start to see trends! Start with the easy stuff, like Christmas paper or really obviously themed patterned paper. And then go from there. I didn't realize how much blue & green paper I had until I did this!

Now, some kits are bulkier than others. Like maybe they came with a pkg of washi tape. I don't want that taking up precious space in my holders. So I slip a post-it note in my kit bag, and say "green Bella Blvd washi" and then I put the washi with my other washi tape. Make sense? Or maybe the cardstock that came with it is pretty neutral, i.e. Kraft, Black, White, Creme. Then I take it out and file it with my regular cardstock. I do this just to save a little space in my holders. If it's a specific shade of cardstock that matches the kit perfectly, I leave it in there.

So that's how I store my kits! And then I USE them, of course! :lol:

I'd love to hear what you do with yours :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:24 am 

My kits are stored the same except I put them in some big bins that are stored on a bench seat in the dormer in my scrap space. I love the idea I got from having these kits sent to me that I chose to order a bunch of the bags and create my own so it's so much easier to scrap when I have the time. So I have tons of "kits" to play with and everything is all together.

Visit my blog: Sallys Challenge Chatter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Sally, I do that, too! When I buy a line of paper that I like, I "package" it like a kit with matching goodies and file it as a kit. It's so much easier to scrap that way :D

Now I will say that storing the majority of my stuff this way is limiting in some ways. Like if I participate in a challenge where we have to mix and match and whatnot, it's really hard to put together the things I want to use quickly as I really have to dig around. But generally, it works really well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:11 am 

I keep my kits in 12x12 Sterlite drawers. I have my patterned paper stored kind of weird. LOL....

My favorite manufacturers all have their own Cropper Hopper vertical file. Inside those they are stored by line. All other patterned paper is stored on one of those 4 shelf cubes from Michael's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:01 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Whatever works, Tara! :D I had some of my paper stored by manufacturer, but then I realized I was forgetting about the stuff that was more "themed" (like summer or whatever). And I tend to think of lines like "oh that paper by Simple Stories was a summer line" so I put it all in the categories. I can usually find it that way (but sometimes not ;) )