[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Back Porch Memories • View topic - Inquiring Minds...Day 3

Back Porch Memories

Monthly Kit Club
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inquiring Minds...Day 3
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 am 

So a lot of you have moved all over the place. My question today is what do you remember about grade school? (not High School). Did moving around a lot make it hard? Did you make any lasting friendships?

I went to school in Pacheco, CA (K-6). My closest friends in school were also the kids in my neighborhood. I still keep in touch with my best friend from back then. She still lives in the Bay Area. It's only a once a year holiday letter but it's nice.
I did this LO a few years ago right after I found out that my old school had been torn down. I can still remember walking (running) down those stairs every day to get to the playground and the yearly Halloween parade around that same playground (me on the right). The other photo of me and my sisters brings back memories of waiting across the street every morning for the bus and how every year we got new clothes and a new lunch box, and how back then girls were required to wear dresses to school.
Just a reminder ladies, if you haven't missed the opportunity already, get photos of your schools. They will not always be there. If it's too late for your own school what about your kids?

Anything can happen to me tomorrow but at least nothing else can happen to me yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:50 am 
Design Team Coordinator

Cool page and photos!!! Love your memories :D

I loved my first grade school K-2. Then when we moved I had to switch schools and it was tough being the new girl. That was the first time I encountered "mean girls" (in third grade). One girl in particular was quite the little brat, looking back as an adult. I wish I could go back and tell my innocent third grade self some zingers to throw her way ;) Is it mean of me feeling a little pleasure that she ended up not amounting to much? :shock:

Other than that, I remember having 50s day in 4th grade and doing this line dance sort of thing. I counted down the line of boys and realized the boy who liked me was going to be paired with me. I made my best friend switch places with me :lol:

I remember Billy B. throwing spit wads on the ceiling. I remember Neil B. drawing race cars and making the sound effects to go with them. I remember folding notes to look like envelopes and putting them in the mailbox my 5th grade teacher had for us. THen they got delivered at the end of every day. She was a pretty creative teacher.

We made paper shoes in 6th grade - I wish I still had mine! That might have been the start of my love of paper :lol:

I remember my 8th grade teacher and how much I learned from her that year - both personally and scholastically. GREAT teacher, probably one of the best I ever had. A few years ago I ran across her email address and was able to tell her that :D

Fun question today, Berta! Lots of memories are coming out. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:25 pm 

When I was living in CA, the school lunches were so different from what they served in Missouri. I remember especially LOVING the tamales there! I went to school in VAn Nuys, CA but don't remember the name of the school or anything. My earliest memory must be from Halloween time in Missouri when I was in Kindergarten. I couldn't cut with my scissors very well and we were making construction paper bats. My teacher, Ms. BEach, helped me with the scissors. Lasting friendships came around when we moved back to MO after CA, it was the final time I moved away from the area as a kid. I am still friends with two of those girls, one of which is still a very close friend to this day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:17 pm 

I went to the same school from 1-8 then we moved where currently live. and I finished school here.

http://dscog.blogspot.com/Donna

blog,
http://donnasscrappydo.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:09 am 

I remember bits & pieces, but I am still friends with some of the people I went to grade school with. For a time you don't see people, then somehow God reconnects you back up. :)

My blog: http://inreallifefaith.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:13 am 
Smiley Queen

I went to school at Anthony Wayne Elementary from K-5th and remember loving everything about it! I made friends with two sisters that came there in the third grade and our friendship has lasted until this day. While we don't have close contact anymore, we still pick up the phone now and again or see each other on FB.

It was difficult in my junior high/middle school years moving around especially coming from Detroit and moving to the 'suburbs'. You had to learn to fit in...lol Moving from Detroit to Westland (finishing up 30 days in the 8th grade...awful!) and then finishing up 1/2 of 9th grade in Northville (junior high was 7-9th grade there) made it very difficult finding friends. In 10th grade we went to high school where I met one of my best friends! Loved that girl and how she helped me through it all. We're still in contact through FB, but life after high school took us in different directions.

Scrappin' Every Moment