[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Back Porch Memories • View topic - Alissa's February "Negative Space" Challenge

Back Porch Memories

Monthly Kit Club
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:33 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Hey, friends! Happy February. I can't believe we're already one month down in 2014. Crazy! :shock:

I've been noticing a really fun trend lately… using the negative spaces creating when die cutting or using punches. I love the look so very much! So my challenge for you this month is to create a layout using the negative space left after die cutting an image/phrase or using a punch. Even if you don't have a die cutting machine or manual die cutter, I think you can still play along. You could even free-hand cut using your craft knife or a pair of scissors.

Here's how I started my example. I cut out some hearts on my cardstock background, using my Silhouette.

I then filled those holes in from the back using squares of various patterned papers and completed my layout. It's a very cool look! Sure, I could have just punched out hearts from the papers and put them right on top of my cardstock, but by having the layers come from underneath, it gives it a lot more dimension and interest.

Now it's your turn! You have from now until midnight Eastern time on Feb. 28 to complete the challenge. You may complete as many projects using the challenge as you wish. Each project will earn you an entry into our monthly prize drawing. Please upload your layout to our gallery in the appropriate "Feb. '14 Challenges" folder to be eligible for the prize.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:28 pm 

beautiful page Alissa - fun challenge

Heather - Anchorage, Alaska - scrapping since approx 2002

My Blog - http://scrappininak.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:24 am 
Design Team Coordinator

Thanks! :D It was fun to break out some more feminine colors and patterns for this one. I have been using a lot of boy-friendly papers lately!

I forgot to mention that this is a sneaky peek at the kits this month - this one of my layouts from the Solo kit ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:00 am 
Design Team Member

Super sweet layout Alissa!! I've noticed the negative space stuff also and have been wanting to try it. Thanks for the push!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 pm 

Great challenge and lovely example Alissa!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm 

What a great challenge! Beautiful layout too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:10 pm 

here's a page from me - I used some precut diecut pieces - the title block and the arrow block. For the arrow I also cut out the portion of the grey banner so give it added depth for part of the arrows.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:45 am 

I like this newer trend. I have an idea for a LO. I hope that I will be able to complete it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:03 pm 

Super cute layout , and heather I love the colors of your layout . Great Challenge!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:58 pm 

on this page I handcut the center from the heart paper heart and filled in underneath with black and white heart washi tape strips

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 pm 

here are 2 more from me - in this one I cut out the hearts

in this I cut out the chevrons

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:17 am 

Here is my take on the challenge. I didn't do the challenge exactly.... I punched snowflakes in separate pieces of paper and then layered them. Not quite, but I thought I would post it anyway! :wink:

TFL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 pm 

I used the negative space on the letters in my title.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:21 am 

I used the negative space on my hearts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 am 

here's a final one from me